The Traveler’s Guide to Driving in Austria

Austria has some truly remarkable scenery, and it is one of the most beautiful countries in Europe. You will find plenty of things to see and do while you are in Austria. You could spend most of your vacation exploring the beautiful city of Vienna. It is home to a number of museums including the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna, the Arnold Schonberg Center, the Austrian Museum of Folk Life and Folk Art, and the Austrian Theatre Museum. You could visit the small town of Melk, or check out the ice caves of Eisriesenwelt.

Consider renting a vehicle

When you rent a vehicle, you will find that it is much easier and more convenient to go from Point A to Point B on your vacation adventure. It is also more comfortable than relying on public transportation or a tour. When you rent your vehicle, make sure you get the agency’s phone number and emergency contact number, just in case you need to get in touch with them.

Road conditions and safety

The roads in Austria are some of the best in Europe, and they are generally in very good condition. They do not have potholes in most areas, and they should be a pleasure to drive. However, in the winter, it is important to be very careful, as snow and ice can make the roads slick. In addition, some of the mountain roads could close after a heavy snow, so check reports before making a trip to an area that has been closed.

To rent a vehicle in Austria, you need to be at least 18 years old and you need to have had your license for at least a year. Drivers who are under 25 years old will usually have to pay a young driver surcharge. You will also need to have an international driving permit if you are going to drive on vacation.

The traffic flows on the right side of the road. Everyone in the vehicle is required to wear seatbelts, and children who are under 12 need to have child seats. A first aid kit needs to be carried in the car at all times. Make sure that the rental agency has one of these kits in the vehicle you rent. You also need to have third-party insurance and a warning triangle.

If you are driving in the winter, you will need to have snow chains, and the vehicle should be outfitted with all season tires. If you are going to drive on the motorways, you need to have a motorway tax sticker, which needs to be on the inside of the windshield. You can buy these at the gas stations near the border. You can choose from several validation terms.

  • Ten days
  • Two months
  • One year

Vehicles in roundabouts will have the right of way. You are not allowed to use mobile devices while driving. It is also important to note that you are not allowed to use your horn in Vienna.

The drivers in Austria tend to be good for the most part, and they obey the rules of the road. You should not have too much trouble, but the urban areas can still be confusing when there is a lot of traffic.

Speed limits

Always follow the posted speed limits.

  • Motorways – 130 km/h
  • Open roads – 100 km/h
  • In towns – 50 km/h

Austria has a lot to see. Having a rental car will make it easier to experience more of it while you are on vacation.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

How to Get a Virginia Driver's Permit
The The state of Virginia uses a graduated driver’s license program that requires all new drivers under 18 to begin driving with a learner’s permit, in order to practice safe driving under supervision before getting their full driver’s license. To...
The Traveler’s Guide to Driving in Mexico
Mexico Mexico has a rich culture and a long history, as well as some stunning attractions. Whether you are looking for historical sites, museums, or the beaches, there is something for you in Mexico. You could visit the ruins of...
The Traveler’s Guide to Driving in Sweden
Sweden Sweden is home to many interesting places to visit. You could visit the Old Town area of Stockholm, the impressive Vasa Museum, and the Skansen Open Air Museum. Explore the Swedish Air Force Museum, and even the ABBA Museum....

Related questions

EPC light

Any number of dozens of sensors, control modules, or computers can be causing your issue. Including the oil pressure switch being disconnected. The only way to know why exactly the light is coming on is to have the system scanned...

Vibration when in idle and right on take off then stops

Among the possibilities are the engine is out of tune (scope the engine), the harmonic balancer is defective (has shifted; rubber bond is broken), a rotating element is loose (torque converter to flex plate connection; crank or other pulley), the...

My car moves in all gears but reverse. Is something wrong with the transmission?

This is a sign of a faulty transmission control module. The transmission control module is the heart of the automatic transmission; without it, the vehicle won't be able to effectively adjust to various driving conditions. It also helps regulate fuel...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·