$124.62 - $450.29
Without your car’s title, you cannot register it in Florida, or in another state if you’re moving out of Florida. In addition, you can’t sell it, trade it in, or use it as collateral for a loan. Obviously, this is a very important document, but sometimes life happens. Titles can be damaged by flooding, fires, smoke and more. They can be lost, or they can even be stolen.
Regardless of how you got here, you now find yourself in the position of needing to get a replacement title – Florida allows you to apply for a duplicate title either in person or by mail. However, there are a few complications that you’ll need to understand.
The fees for a duplicate title vary. If the car was previously titled in Florida and you need a duplicate, it will cost you $75.25. If the car is new, it will cost you $77.25. If the car was registered out of state and you need a duplicate title, the fee is $85.25. An expedited fast title will cost you $85.25 as well.
Note that if the title was lost while the car was registered out of state and the title was lost before moving to Florida, you’ll need to pay for a physical VIN inspection by a county tax collector, a licensed auto dealer, a law enforcement officer or a commissioned officer/provost marshal. In addition, you’ll need to complete Form HSMV 82042.
To apply in person:
- Complete Form HSMV 82101 (Application for Duplicate or List in Transit/Reassignment of a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Title Certificate).
- Provide proof of your identity (a valid state-issued ID will work)
- Provide an odometer disclosure stating that the mileage is accurate.
- Provide information about any lien-holders.
- Provide the appropriate payment amount.
- Take all of this information to your local county tax collector’s office.
To apply by mail:
- Include all the information above and mail it to your local county tax collector’s office.
For more information, please see the official state of Florida DMV website.
Schedule Brake Pad Replacement
The most popular service booked by readers of this article is Brake Pad Replacement. Yourmechanic’s technicians bring the dealership to you by performing this job at your home or office 7 days a week between 7AM-9PM. We currently cover over 10k cities and have 100k+ 5-star reviews... LEARN MORESEE PRICING & SCHEDULING