Skip the auto shop - Our mechanics make house calls
  1. Home
  2. Articles
  3. How to Renew Your Car Registration in South Dakota

How to Renew Your Car Registration in South Dakota

registration South Dakota

Most people forget that driving on the roadways of South Dakota is a privilege. There are a variety of things that have to be done to these roadways to keep them in good shape. Paying the fees to register your car with the South Dakota DMV. While registering the car is important, you will also need to make sure that it is renewed each year. You will be able to get some help with remembering when it is due because the South Dakota DMV will send out a notice. Here is what you will need to do when receiving this notice.

Using the online option

The best way to get the renewal process done without having to take a lot of time out of your schedule is by going online. The state of South Dakota has an online registration site that you will be able to use. Here is what you will need to do:

  • The notice that you have receive in the mail has a PIN on it
  • The PIN will allow you to access the information that the DMV has on your car
  • Pay the fees that the system says you owe for your renewal

Handling it in person

If you would rather go into handle this in person, then you can also do that. You will need to go to the county clerk’s office where you live. Here is what you will need to take with you:

  • The notice that you have received in the mail
  • Proof that you have insurance on the car
  • Your driver’s license
  • The money to pay your fees

You can also mail in the information to the local county treasurer’s office if you so desire.

The fees for renewal in South Dakota

The fees that you will have to pay for this renewal will vary by the weight and model of the car that you have. Call your local treasurer to figure out what you have to pay before going in.

You can find out more information on this process by going to the South Dakota DMV website. There, you will find a variety of tips and information regarding all of the registration processes in your area.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Skip the repair shop, our top-rated mechanics come to you.

At your home or office

Choose from 600+ repair, maintenance & diagnostic services. Our top-rated mechanics bring all parts & tools to your location.

Fair & transparent pricing

See labor & parts costs upfront, so you can book with confidence.

12-month, 12,000-mile warranty

Our services are backed by a 12-month, 12,000-mile warranty for your peace of mind.

Get A Quote

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


More related articles

How to Buy Fuel Treatments
Adding a fuel additive to your gas tank when you fill up is one way to clean vital engine parts of deposits, improve the performance of your engine,...
The Traveler’s Guide to Driving in Malaysia
CraigBurrows / Malaysia is a popular destination for many tourists today. The country has amazing sights and attractions that you will want to explore....
Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in New Mexico
The state of New Mexico offers a number of benefits and perks for those Americans who have either served in an Armed Forces branch...

Related questions

Q: Expired registration and inspection

Hello. It appears that a NYS inspection is required in order to renew the registration, so it would appear that, yes, you can get an NYS inspection with an expired registration. I would recommend taking it to the nearest inspection...