Q: What safety items should be checked before driving?

What safety items should be checked before driving?

A: While it might seem like all you need to do...

While it might seem like all you need to do before driving your car is to crank the engine and put it in gear, there are actually several things that should be done every single time before you hit the road. Eventually, these will become second nature. Here’s what you should do:

1. Doors: Check that all four doors are closed and locked. Make sure the trunk indicator light on the dash isn’t on.

2. Seat: Make sure the driver seat is adjusted for you. If not, slide it forward and make sure you can reach the pedals easily.

3. Head Restraints: Make sure the head restraints/headrests are adjusted for you.

4. Seat Belts: Buckle up and make sure your passengers are securely buckled before starting the engine. That includes children in their car seats.