Q: Not sure if I messed up my engine

asked by on June 06, 2016

I bought a car from a used car lot last year. As soon as I got it home the check engine light went on. Haven't had any major issues until today. I was getting to a stop light when i felt my car kind of sputtering, kind of like it was going to turn off. And thr check engine light was now blinking. When I got home i checked the oil. Well, it was pretty much bone dry! The check oil light never went on and I've been very busy with work this month that I hadn't checked it. I put penzoil oil for high milage vehicles but it's still sputtering. I'm praying I didn't mess the engine up. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Hello Sir,

From the symptoms you describe it would not appear to me that you have messed up your engine.

Usually a Check Engine Light that is flashing means that there is a problem with the vehicle that is may cause harm to the emissions system. A flashing Check Engine Light is a sign that certain emissions or smog components, such as oxygen sensors or catalytic converters, may be at risk of serious or permanent damage, and therefore the vehicle should be stopped and serviced as soon as possible, to avoid the further development of any other problems.

You also mention that your oil was low.

While low oil level can definitely cause harm to the engine, it will not usually cause the Check Engine Light to flash or the vehicle to sputter. A problem that can cause the Check Engine Light to flash however, can definitely cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

I would recommend keeping the oil topped off at the proper level, and having the Check Engine Light diagnosed as soon as you can, before any of the smog components become damaged.