Q: Metallic noise while disengaging clutch in first gear on a car with manual transmission

I have a manual transmission car. This week I hear some metallic noise when disengaging the clutch, just in first gear.

If you do not hear that noise in any other gear, then it can’t be that clutch, because the cutch would make the noise in every gear. It would be the problem inside the transmission. In your case, it’s probably the synchromesh in first gear wearing out.

When I was a kid, I had a car that did that. I drove it for years and sold it that way, and what I would do is start the car in second gear. I’m a good driver. You’d lose a lot of acceleration but if you give it a little more gas, I’d start in the second gear and drive it two, three, four, five, and then I would skip the first gear. It still lasted a long time. But it is a problem inside your first gear if it only does that in the first gear.

3. Metallic noise while disengaging clutch in first gear on a car with manual transmission