Q: I was trying to get gas and my door wouldn't open so I had to pop it open but now it won't close. What do I need to do?

I went to go out gas in my car but when I pushed the button it wouldn't open. I needed gas so I had to pop the gas door open but now I can't get it to close.

Hi there. The fuel door serves to protect and insulate the gas cap and gas tank, and also to complete the exterior of your vehicle. Most fuel doors have a taut cable that releases to allow the door to open, and tightens to close the door. This problem can be caused by a loose cable, broken latch or broken hinge. It’s also possible that the spring is just stuck. The best way to resolve this is to try and release it once more from the button. If it doesn’t work, check the fuse that powers it to see if it’s damaged and replace. If this still doesn’t work, contact a professional mechanic to complete a fuel door won’t close inspection at your location.

3. I was trying to get gas and my door wouldn't open so I had to pop it open but now it won't close. What do I need to do?