I have a BMW 2011 X3 it says engine hot and the hood won'...

Q: I have a BMW 2011 X3 it says engine hot and the hood won't open is ther a reason why the engine will not open and can it be the th

asked by on September 26, 2017

I have a 3x BMW 2011 and the engine light came on while I was driving I get home it says the engine is extremely hot this is my first time owning a BMW so I don't know if the hood doesn't open when the engine over heats because it won't open when I pull the hood lever so I'm like confused

Hi Brandon. BMW’s don’t have a hood release problem that is activated by extreme engine heat, so it’s likely that you have a mechanical problem in this instance. The engine light will illuminate when excessive heat is created in the engine, or if the ECU detects a mechanical fault or sensor failure. The best recommendation I can offer is to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a check engine light inspection, so they can determine what is causing the light to illuminate. This should help them isolate the overheating problem as well. While they are there, they can help resolve the hood issue you’re having as well.