Q: Hi there. I have a 2012 Jetta 2.5 i5 with 159k miles. My car has recently started to white smoke. I replaced the ECV valve and the

I have a 2012 Jetta SE 2.5 i5 PZEV with 159k miles. It started white smoking recently. I replaced the ECV valve and it stopped for a few days but then started to white smoke again. I'm not losing any antifreeze, or oil. The oil isn't frothy. The only code I'm getting is for a small Evap leak which has been on the car since I bought it 2 years ago. From what I've heard, these engines don't typically need any head gaskets, or cylinder heads, and etc. needed at this mileage. Not sure what to do, and not sure if it's safe to drive to a mechanic without causing further damage. Please help!

The vehicle can be inspected right at your location without moving it. The relevant mobile service to request is an engine smoke diagnostic. If the white smoke is fairly significant and is not just at start up, when it might be attributable to the burn off of condensation, the only cause is an internal anti-freeze leak. If you have just noticed this issue, the leak may be small enough that not much anti-freeze has disappeared. You can try watching the level for a month (just carefully mark the level in the reservoir). If the level really does not change, at all, that would be an indication that it is not an anti-freeze leak, in which case it is just simply condensation. If at present you are not detecting a fall in the level of anti-freeze and there is no oil contamination, no external leaks, and no overheating, there is no harm in continuing to drive the car. However, if you notice any overheating that’s when it’s time to call it quits; overheating has the potential to do lots of engine damage. To sum up, I would request the engine smoke diagnostic and let the responding certified mechanic investigate this issue that you are observing and give you his findings, conclusion, and advice. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Hi there. I have a 2012 Jetta 2.5 i5 with 159k miles. My car has recently started to white smoke. I replaced the ECV valve and the