Q: Do mechanics charge to check the timing on a vehicle and, can my tensioner locking up throw the timing off on my vehicle?

I was driving and smelled burned rubber coming from engine. At the that time tensioner had not fully locked up. The next day i noticed my car had started misfiring. Took to mechanic next day. Got new tensioner. Car still misfiring. Could this be a timing issue?

A: Hello. Unfortunately, the misfire has nothi...

Hello. Unfortunately, the misfire has nothing to do with the tensioner. A misfire will almost always be due to an ignition problem. You will need to have the misfire diagnosed again. Since the timing is a more involved component to look at, a mechanic will charge to check the timing and any other components unless the inspection is already included as part of another service. If you need help diagnosing the misfiring problem, a certified technician from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location to give a second opinion on the car and can follow through with appropriate repairs.