Q: Car hesitates and jerks when driving. Check engine code gave maf sensor, but mechanic says the car is too new so he thinks it's th

asked by on November 05, 2017

My car's check engine light came on shortly after getting an oil change and filling up with gas. After a few days it has now started to hesitate when stepping on gas at a stop and sputter. I had a mobile mechanic check it out and the code came up as maf sensor He cleaned it and said that he didn't think it was that because my car was too new (2011 Sentra). He stated that he thinks it's the fuel filter. Now, I have done some research and it looks like newer Nissans do not have a fuel filter that you can maintenance. You have to replace the whole pump. When I askef him, he said no it is one under the car. I need to know if he knows what he is talking about and since the maf code came up if that is likely what it is?

Hi TR. Thanks for contacting us today. If you could provide us with the exact code that came up, this would be much easier for us to help you locate the possible sources. Just because a code might indicate a mass air flow sensor, doesn’t always mean that it’s the only source. There is a filter under the fuel tank on your Sentra, and it’s quite possible that MAF or the electrical harness connected to it is triggering the code.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr