Q: Bell ringing noise, stalling and then dies - 1995 Ford E-350 Econoline Club Wagon

asked by on September 14, 2016

When I get in my van and start it up a bell will ring 4 times. Then it will ring 3 times then 2 times and then back to 4 times. It doesn’t happen all of the time- just sometimes. What’s causing the bells to go off? How can I get them to stop? And my van will stall all of a sudden while I’m driving down the street, and then it will die. What could be causing this? It makes me so nervous to drive.

These bells indicate a problem that the built-in diagnostic system is unable to indicate on the dash (usually a burned out fault indication bulb). Replace the burned out indicator bulb on the dash, then check out the original problem by checking your owners manual for the indicated fault code(s). A YourMechanic professional can help with this, as well as diagnose the stalling issue.