Q: Vehicle shifts into lock on its own

My Durango shifts into lock without my doing anything. When it locks, the SVC 4WD light comes on. It eventually shifts back to AWD and the light goes off. What is going on?

A: Hello. It is possible that there is an issu...

Hello. It is possible that there is an issue with the actual switch that activates the 4 wheel lock. However, it is more common that a problem with the shift lock solenoid on the transfer case is the cause of the problem you are experiencing.

It would be a good idea to have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and inspect the transfer case and its electrical components in order to pinpoint the problem and recommend necessary repairs.