Q: I just had the alternator replaced, but my car cuts off while driving.

I just had the alternator replaced, but my car cuts off while driving.

If your vehicle is losing battery voltage (i.e. your battery light is on) the problem may be your battery. You have a new alternator, so if your battery is bad, it won’t hold the charge from the alternator. The problem could still be a defective alternator or improper installation. A fuse could also be the cause. If you still have power (headlights still work) the problem is in the fuel or ignition system. Your vehicle has a very complex ignition system and should only be serviced by trained professionals. Have a mechanic inspect your vehicle and diagnose your problem for you.

3. I just had the alternator replaced, but my car cuts off while driving.