Q: I just had the alternator replaced, but my car cuts off while driving.

I just had the alternator replaced, but my car cuts off while driving.

A: If your vehicle is losing battery voltage (...

If your vehicle is losing battery voltage (i.e. your battery light is on) the problem may be your battery. You have a new alternator, so if your battery is bad, it won’t hold the charge from the alternator. The problem could still be a defective alternator or improper installation. A fuse could also be the cause. If you still have power (headlights still work) the problem is in the fuel or ignition system. Your vehicle has a very complex ignition system and should only be serviced by trained professionals. Have a mechanic inspect your vehicle and diagnose your problem for you.