Q: Advice on using a 1.5-amp battery charger maintainer

I've got a 1.5-amp battery charger maintainer. Drive a second car one to two times a month. New batteries die within ten months. Can I use this maintainer once a month to keep the batteries from going dead? Only one power outlet gauge in the extension cord.

A: If you want to use that maintainer, I say u...

If you want to use that maintainer, I say use it once a month and keep it plugged in for 12 hours. Car batteries are not made to sit. They are made to be charged up and discharged when you start the car, then recharged and then discharged. So you’d want to do it at least once a month for 12 hours.

Leave that little charger on, it’s only 1.5 amps so it’s not going to hurt anything. I hope you’ve got a good one, you said it’s a maintainer. The maintainers are automatic, so if they get fully charged, they will stop charging and turn themselves off. It’s a good idea to do that. If you think you have a problem with your battery, have a certified mechanic check it out.