Q: 1991 Volvo 740 suddenly wouldn't shift into any gear, car motionless

I have a high-mileage car with around 340,000 miles on it. Two days ago, while I was stopped in the traffic and was about to keep driving, the car couldn't move. The engine was running smoothly though. I tried downshifting to second gear but still nothing. After I downshifted to first gear, the car started moving again. A bit later, the car became motionless again and unresponsive to any gear. It wouldn't even go to reverse. Yesterday I took it to the mechanic and the car had no issues whatsoever. The mechanic took it for a faster ride and didn't find anything wrong. Do you have any idea what might be wrong?

A: Thanks for writing in about your 1991 Volvo...

Thanks for writing in about your 1991 Volvo 740. For the problem to appear and go, there may be a problem with the linkage connecting the shifter handle to the transmission or the clutch may be just about worn out. It can be hard to pinpoint problems that only appear intermittently. If you can predict when the problem is going to happen, or when the problem begins to occur more frequently, have the car inspected by a certified technician in order to have this shifting problem diagnosed properly.