What is the Mirror Control Switch all about?
Sometimes the issue is not a broken mirror itself, but that the mirror does not move. The mirror control switch is an electrical mechanism that adjusts the mirror. It can stop working and may need replacing.
Keep in mind:
- If your mirror doesn’t move it could be that the mirror itself is broken, not the switch.
- Physical damage to your mirror will often keep it from moving, even if the switch is still functional.
How it's done:
- Test the fuses.
- Test operation of switch.
- Replace the switch if found faulty.
- Check operation of the mirror(s) in all directions.
There’s no way to preempt a faulty mirror switch. When you notice that your mirrors no longer move when you try to adjust them, schedule an inspection.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Mirror Control Switch?
- Mirror does not move
How important is this service?
Mirror switches are designed to make driving safer. When different drivers get in a car, they can use the mirror switch to adjust their side view mirrors so that they have the best view of their surroundings and their blind spots. When the mirror control switch fails, there’s no way to adjust the mirror, and your mirror will not be able to move into the correct placement for safe driving.