What is the Windshield Washer Nozzles all about?
Dirt, bugs and debris can accumulate on your windshield, limiting visibility and compromising your safety. Your vehicle’s windshield washer system is designed to make cleaning it easy – activate the windshield washers, and a stream or spray of fluid is sent over the glass. Your wipers then clear away the fluid and the debris, giving you a clear view of the road. When the washer spray function is pressed, the washer fluid pump activates and washer fluid is sent through small hoses to the washer fluid nozzles. When the fluid pushes through the small opening in the nozzle, it atomizes and sprays over the whole windshield. If the washer fluid doesn’t spray onto the window or sprays in an odd pattern or inconsistently, you may need to replace your windshield washer fluid nozzles.
Keep in mind:
- Dirt and debris can clog the lines to mimic a windshield washer nozzle failure. Check the lines to ensure they are clear before replacing the washer nozzle.
- A nozzle can be re-aimed if the windshield washer fluid is misdirected.
How it's done:
- The hood is opened and supported
- The washer nozzle hose is disconnected from nozzle
- The defective nozzle is removed and the new one is installed
- The washer nozzle hose is connected to the new nozzles and the hood is closed
- The windshield washer is tested and adjusted to work properly
Your windshield washer nozzles require no maintenance or service, but they do require occasional cleaning. Have one of our expert technicians inspect the washer fluid system for blockages, and replace the washer fluid nozzles if required.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Windshield Washer Nozzles?
- Washer fluid doesn’t spray a tight stream or a symmetrical fan pattern
- Washer fluid doesn’t spray at all
- Washer fluid leaks under the hood when the washer fluid spray is initiated
How important is this service?
Without an operational windshield washer system, you cannot effectively clean your windshield when driving. A dirty windshield can lead to unsafe driving conditions, so have your windshield washer fluid nozzles replaced promptly.