What is the Steering Rack Mounting Bushings all about?
The power steering rack is the part that converts the steering wheel input into a usable side-to-side direction. The steering gear, or steering rack, is mounted to the frame of the vehicle. Since mounting it directly to the frame would cause extreme road noise and a ‘noisy’ steering feel, it is mounted by means of steering rack mounting bushings. These steel sleeves surround every mounting point on your vehicle’s steering rack. The sleeves themselves are also wrapped in a neoprene rubber. Together, bushings are able to dampen the natural vibration that occurs when driving and allow you to operate your vehicle without having excessive road noise or feedback in the steering wheel. If the steering rack mounting bushings are worn or have come loose, you will have a clunk in your steering wheel and less responsive steering overall.
Keep in mind:
- Have a wheel alignment performed after the steering rack (or "steering gear") mounting bushings are replaced.
How it's done:
- The vehicle front wheels are put straight and the vehicle is lifted and supported on jack stands
- The defective steering rack mounting bushings are removed
- The new steering rack mounting bushings are installed
- The front tires are installed and the vehicle is removed from jack stands
- The vehicle is started and checked for steering rack operation
The steering gear or rack is checked with every suspension and steering inspection performed on your vehicle. The steering rack mounting bushings are included during those inspections. If the steering rack mounting bushings are identified as worn or loose, have one of our expert mechanics replace them.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Steering Rack Mounting Bushings?
- Steering jerks are inconsistent
- When you take bumps, you feel a “clunk” in the steering column
How important is this service?
Steering rack mounting bushings are essential for the operation of your vehicle. While you can definitely drive with bad bushings, poor steering control could end in an accident.