What is the Tailgate Locking Assembly all about?
A tonneau cover can be installed to cover your possessions in the truck bed, and a tailgate locking assembly can be used to lock the tailgate closed. Manufacturers may use a manual key-operated lock, power locking tailgate, or no locking device at all. When a tailgate lock is in place, there are mechanical components that firmly latch the tailgate handle. When the tailgate locking assembly is faulty, the tailgate lock cylinder with either not turn, or will turn without changing the lock position. If a power tailgate locking assembly is faulty, pressing the lock or unlock function will not change the lock position either.
Keep in mind:
- The tailgate locking assembly can be mechanically operated with a key, opened by pushing a button on the car’s inside, or accessed remotely by an incorporated electronic actuator.
How it's done:
- The tailgate is lifted and inside cover is removed for access
- The defective tailgate locking assembly is removed
- The new tailgate locking assembly is installed
- The tailgate inside cover is reinstalled
- The rear tailgate is opened and closed to check locking assembly operation
Mechanical or key-operated tailgate locks can and should be lubricated every service interval to prevent corrosion and seizing. The lock should last the lifetime of your vehicle if properly lubricated and cleaned. If your liftgate locking assembly is not working as it should, have one of our expert mechanics inspect and repair it.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Tailgate Locking Assembly?
- Tailgate lock cylinder will not turn
- Tailgate lock does not latch in place when the cylinder is locked
- Power lock control for the tailgate makes a buzzing sound but doesn’t lock (or unlock) the latch
How important is this service?
As it is not a critical component to your vehicle’s operation, the tailgate locking assembly does not have to be repaired until you are prepared to do it. The contents of your truck box will not be secured until it is fixed.