Q: Yourmechanic does not service my area (Erin,TN 37061). Can you give me an estimate?

What is the estimated cost for spark plug replacement for my vehicle? Should i change out the ignition coils along with?

The cost will depend on several factors, one of which is whether you have the double overhead cam (DOHC) version of the 5.4L engine, that is 4 valves per cylinder. If you have the "regular" 5.4L engine, it takes 3.1 hours to remove and replace the plugs. However, if you have the 5.4L DOHC, it takes only 1.3 hours. What you would do is multiple the labor time (in hours) times the local mechanic rate to get the total labor cost. An additional factor is plug cost. Many, many aftermarket plugs are vended for this and all vehicles. The prices range from $2 a plug on up to $10 a plug or more. The safest and most reliable thing to do, always, is simply give your VIN number to the local Ford dealer and buy the plugs there. Ask for a standard 20% discount off list (typical Internet discount). Be polite and firm, but if they give you a hard time, go somewhere else, buy on-line from a Ford parts dealer (OEM genuine) or just simply buy AutoLite or comparable plugs. The list price for the plugs at the dealer is typically not reasonable and presumably you still want to be able to eat lunch that day once the repair is finished. With regard to ignition coils, the same rule that applies to all parts applies to the coils: if a coil tests defective replace it. If testing does not reveal any fault, the part is good. Of course, consumables, such as spark plugs are not tested and are simply thrown away, as a matter of course, based on a schedule. In the case of a coil, of course, there are visual tests, too, and not just electrical tests. If there is corrosion on any of the electrical contacts, yes the coil should be discarded. If you have further concerns, by all means let us know. Undoubtedly, YourMechanic will service your area soon...people really like the personal, right at your door service, as opposed to going to a shop with huge, needless overhead, and where you are basically told, "take a number".

3. Yourmechanic does not service my area (Erin,TN 37061). Can you give me an estimate?