Q: Wreathing sounds of engine recoil starter in Honda CR-V EX

2013 Honda CR-V EX with 39,000 miles on it. Every time I crank, the engine recoil starter makes a lot of wreathing sounds for couple of seconds and it’s probably the Vtec issue. Should I replace it or use it for the next couple of years?

You only have 39,000 miles. If it runs good otherwise, I would advise you to have the engine oil flushed out and then I would change the oil in filter. Use Castrol GTX and one quart of Lucas Oil additive, and see what happens.

Because, that’s such a low mileage and I doubt that thing is actually worn out. But those things are notorious for clogging up. Don’t listen if they say that you should change your oil every 8 – 10,000 miles. That’s nonsense for this car. You want to change oil on that car every 3 000 miles if you use regular oil, and every 5,000 miles if you use synthetic oil, because Hondas have had problems with those Vtec systems. The Action Aid systems are all run by oil pressure and if any dirt gets in there, it burns it. Do that and it might fix your problem with the small mileage like that.