Q: Would you advise purchasing this vehicle used? What have you seen as the major (most expensive) repairs?

Would you advise purchasing a used 2002 X5 BMW with 160k? What have you seen as the major (most expensive) repairs?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. While it’s...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. While it’s hard to recommend which car to buy without inspecting it, what I can recommend is that you have a pre-purchase inspection performed on the exact vehicle that you are looking to purchase, or in this case, both vehicles. Then you can compare the two cars with the inspection reports. This will let you know what is currently wrong with that exact vehicle and the repair costs of those repairs, and will give you the exact knowledge that you need on that particular vehicle to make your purchase decision. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to you to help you perform a pre-inspection on each car, and help you decide.