Q: Would it be hard to make this vehicle a daily driver?

A 1964 Ford Thunderbird is for sale in my area for $500. I was skeptical so I contacted the owner and they said the problems with the vehicle is that the brakes are jammed, those are their exact words , I assume that means they're stuck? Also that the gas tank and fuel pump I'll need to be replaced. The vehicle cranks but does not start. Will this vehicle be a pain in the a** to fix or will it all pay off , especially for being only $500? I know a little about cars like how to replace the fuel pump and tank but can the fuel lines also have gone bad? And lastly will the listed problems be fixed at home? The interior and body are in relatively great shape, just very dirty.Thank you and have a nice day! My car has an automatic transmission.

A: Hello. The simple answer to this is that &q...

Hello. The simple answer to this is that "Yes, this could be a daily driver. Yes, brakes and fuel system components can be replaced in your driveway or garage. Yes, quite likely the fuel tank has rust issues, as well as the fuel lines." Be prepared to replace EVERYTHING that is rubber in the fuel and brake system.

It is 52 years old, so be prepared to fix a lot of things. Drive it around the block and fix another basket of things. Cars like these are classics, with great joy to restore, then show off. It will take lots of time and your mechanical skills will become extensive (and your bank account may become dry). If you would like to have an expert consult you with this, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to do a comprehensive inspection and can follow up with repairs.