Q: Would a broken or disengaged e-brake cause my car to make a rubbing noise while driving at low speeds and reversing?

My e-brake is broken and will not engage. The brakes have been changed for the front assembly, so this is not the problem. My car makes a low grinding/rubbing noise as I reverse or drive at a low speed (10-15mph) . The bearings seem to be ok, but the only problem that I noticed is that the e brake is broken and wont engage. Will a broken e brake or drum cause the grinding?

A: Hi there. It is important to have this nois...

Hi there. It is important to have this noise checked before it becomes a serious safety issue. An e-brake that is not engaging should not cause the noise you have described unless a part has come loose or there is a buildup of rust in/around the drum brakes. This could also be coming from the newly installed front brakes if they were not installed properly, a shield was bent, or something has become lodged around the brake pads or rotors. I strongly suggest asking a qualified technician to perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car is making a noise while driving inspection and provide an estimate and direction of repair.