Q: Worn out pistons

My pistons are worn out, not blown but worn out. However I’m getting the heads replaced and I know that it can add pressure to worn out pistons, is it safe to drive with worn out pistons? Will it cause damage to the engine if I drive with worn out pistons?

Hi Lidia. Thanks for contacting us today. There are two parts of the piston that produce the right amount of compression to ensure proper ignition - the piston rings and the pistons themselves. Typically the first thing to wear out are the rings. If the pistons themselves have been damaged, it’s likely due to excessive heat or lack of lubrication. In these cases, having the cylinder’s honed (or cleaned with an abrasive tool) replacing the pistons and rings is recommended. Without knowing the extent of damage that has occurred, it’s hard to tell you whether or not this will impact the cylinder head rebuild. It’s always a good idea to replace pistons and rings when completing cylinder head work however.

3. Worn out pistons