Q: WORN DRIVE BELT

PUCHASED USED KIA SORENTO AT THE END OF JULY 2016 WITH 78000. I TOOK THE SORENTO TO A KIA DEAL IN SEPTEMBER WHERE THEY DID A THE POINT CHECK SYSTEM WHICH THE DRIVE BELT WASN'T WARN AT THE TIME. SO, THREE MONTHS LATER THE BELT IS WARN. HOW DOES DRIVE BELT AFFECT THE SUV AND IS THE BELT LIKE A TIMING CHANGE?

Hi there. The serpentine drive belt drives accessories, such as the a/c compressor, alternator, power steering pump, etc. The belt condition is generally determined by the amount and spacing of cracks in the belt ribs. One technician may look at the belt differently, than another technician. Deep cracks within one inch spacing warrants serpentine belt replacement. The timing belt is not the same, as the serpentine belt. The timing belt drives the cam gears, water pump and is generally replaced at specific mileage intervals. I recommend having your vehicle’s worn drive belt be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. WORN DRIVE BELT