Q: Workspace - Incline

Hello YM. Needed to get in contact with the mechanic on the quote beforehand, but YM support said they can't do so, and to post here. I need to ensure that my car is positioned as needed prior to arrival; I cannot move it after; or at least, not quickly nor easily. At minimum I need an oil change (I have a 29 hour drive home ahead of me), but would like to have my tires rotated and if possible, transmission fluid changed. I need to inquire about the incline of my driveway and whether or not it is an issue. It is Not flat, but definitely not drastic. Without being able to provide a picture, can this issue be addressed? Is this even an issue, or at what point would a driveway incline become an issue? Would only a tire rotation be complicated by not having a flat surface to work? (2004 Camry)

Hi there. I really wish we could give you a precise YES or NO answer to your questions, which are very good and valid. However, it’s a bit more complex. In general, it’s not recommended to jack up a vehicle on a driveway that has a downward slope. The issue comes with jack stands, stability and safety. However, many mobile mechanics have hydraulic lifts, that can raise a vehicle on a very small slope. The tire rotation is the biggest issue impacted by driveways, as all four tires have to be raised at the same time to do the rotation correctly. There is no cut and dry policy on driveway slope angle that would not permit the mechanic to do the work. The best way to resolve this issue is to book the service and have the mechanic determine if the area is safe to work. If there is a problem, I’m sure that YourMechanic can resolve the issue or simply re-position the car.