Q: working on a 1991 bmw 525i. belt shredded and got everything replaced and back togther. I did notice the water pump will not spin

will a failed water pump possibly not spin without belt on? replaced belt and tensioner pulley and now car isn't wanting to turn over. never had a water pump freeze up.

BMW has been using plastic water pump impellers for a very long time. It has lead to a whole new range of water pump issues. Sometimes the impeller disintegrates into a pile of plastic shreds, locking the pump up. Other times the center will spin loose on the shaft, rendering the pump useless without any outside appearance of failure. The problem you then experience is a persistent overheating problem. Your pump most likely needs to be replaced. If you contact Your Mechanic, they can send a technician to your home or office to replace your water pump for you at your convenience.

• working on a 1991 bmw 525i. belt shredded and got everything replaced and back togther. I did notice the water pump will not spin