Q: Wont start 2003 Pontiac Grand AM

Every couple weeks for about a month it wouldn't want to start and i'd give it a minute and retry and then it would start. Well after a few weeks of not having any problems I was on my way to work and it died while driving, and the brakes locked up. I pulled to the shoulder of the highway and turned it off and gave it a second and tried to fire it up and bit made a vroom vroom vroom. Noise while making a loud clanking metal noise, not a ticking or knocking but a clanking. And it won't start. Whats wrong with it??

Hi there. A fairly common clanking noise for GM vehicles and no start condition could be the result of a separated harmonic balancer/vibration damper. More than likely the CKP (crankshaft position sensor) has been damaged by the separation as well.

As for the brakes being locked up, I would think it is not related to the stalling while driving (although anything is possible). If you would like to have an expert take a closer look, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the no-start and any other issues, and then can follow through with repairs from there.

3. Wont start 2003 Pontiac Grand AM