Q: Won't start, so many possibilities can't figure out why

So I was given a 1973 dodge tradesman 300 maxi, 360 engine, it's a camper van and it's my home. It didn't start when she gave it to me, but it didn't even have a battery She told me she had friends that said it could be the carb needed to be rebuilt or a blown head gasket. I put the battery from my old van in and as long as I pumped the gas while I started it it would start....sometimes....sometimes I had to put her in neutral to start...other times it would just click, and if I used a different battery it would click or not make any noise but never start. So I only use my old van battery cause it at least started sometimes...it's brand new battery so go figure. I put a splice thingy on the positive cables because they were all over the place so I thought shotty connection and it started up a bunch of times in a row. Replaced the spark plugs and wires a few days later...plopped the battery back in...NO START. cranks and sounds ready to start first couple cranks but never turns over...

It is quite likely that the old battery was too weak to turn the engine over which is why it just clicked when trying to start. The new battery has plenty of power to turn the engine over which is why it started when you installed it. Now that you have changed the spark plugs and the engine does not start, be sure you have the spark plug wires properly connected and pressed down on the tops of the plugs. If these are not properly connected, this will cause the spark plug not to ignite the fuel in the motor when trying to start it. As a result, this will cause the motor not to fire at all. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your no start problem.

3. Won't start, so many possibilities can't figure out why