Q: Won't start just cranks

I was driving and was hearing a stange noise I haven't heard before as if something was loose under the hood?(rattling of some sort) and when I stopped at a red light, my engine just shut off. Everything else works fine (lights, radio, etc.) I try to turn it over (it was making a stange noise) and won't start, just turns. But when I was driving and switching gears, it sounded and lil weird, noting I heard before.

Hello. I would start by checking the fluid levels in the engine. I would then see where the noise is coming from as it sounds like the starter may be trying to engage. If the alternator went bad and caused the battery to discharge then this will happen. Start by checking the battery at this point. If the battery is low then it needs to be charged and retested. If the battery is fine then the alternator needs to be checked. If these components are fine then the voltage at the starter needs to be checked. If there is voltage to the starter when trying to crank it and it still does not work then the engine may have seized.

If I suspect that then I attempt to crank the engine over by hand. If that cannot be done then the engine needs replacement. If it can then further diagnosis would need to be done. If you want to have this no start diagnosed consider YourMechanic, as a certifed mechanic can come to your home or office.