Q: won't start almost dies

I had a hard time starting my Hummer today and it only has 28,000 miles on it. It didn't want to turn all the way over. I finally got it to start and seems OK, but there are more problems. I replaced the battery a couple of months ago. So it can't be that. When I step on the gas the outside lights and inside lights dim a little - sometimes - when in park. When I tap the gas the tachometer revs up to normal but then drops nearly 500 and the car almost dies. Could this be a bad alternator?

A: Hello. It sounds like the battery is indeed...

Hello. It sounds like the battery is indeed low causing the starting issue. From what you are explaining it sounds like the battery may be low because the alternator is failing and needs to be tested. Your symptoms point to either a bad connection at the battery or at the ground connections or at the alternator. These all need to be checked to find the issue. If you need to have this looked at for you, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car's loss of power.