Q: Won't start after hit

My suburban ran out of gas, so I called a tow truck. After hooking up my car it started to back up and hit a telephone pole and the back end of my suburban! Now when I put gas in my car it won’t start, and I changed the fuel pump and that didn't help. So I put gas in the distributor and it finally started, but it won’t start without doing that. What’s wrong with my car and how do I fix this?

It sounds like your fuel pump has failed. This was most likely caused by running out of gas. The fuel is actual what keeps the fuel pump cool. If it overheats, it can burn the contacts out or melt the windings in the fuel pump motor. To have this issue taken care of, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the no-start and verify which components need fixing.

3. Won't start after hit