Q: Won't start, added starting fluid 1994 Volvo 960

My car was in my garage for a year and had not been started or driven. I tried starting it but the battery was dead. So I bought a new battery and tried starting it again. But the car wouldn’t start. I put some new gas in my tank and sprayed the air intake with starting fluid. I tried to start it and almost got it, but it died. I tried this for 3 days but it didn’t help. What should I do now and how can I get my car running?

Hi there. Thanks for writing in about your 1994 Volvo 960. The most common cause of this is a failed fuel pump. When this kind of car sits for a while, the fuel gums up the fuel pump keeping it from functioning when you try and restart it. Some of the time as it sits in new fuel it can free up, but most of the time, the fuel pump needs to be replaced.

I usually test the pump for voltage first. If it is not getting power, then it is a circuit issue. If it is, then the pump is bad. If you are going to have it repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the starting issue and perform the appropriate repairs.