Q: Doesn't restart after water pump replacement.

I replaced the water pump on my 08 5.7 Tundra and after getting it all together and adding some of the coolant it fired up with just a slight hesitation and small squeal from the belt. I ran it for about 5- 10 minutes to get it to temp and then I decided to shut it off. It never got up to temperature - it just barely got to the cold mark on the gauge. When I tried to restart it - it would not start. Not the battery but it just wouldn't turn over

A: I'm afraid that you may have a problem ...

I'm afraid that you may have a problem with your timing belt. The big toothed belt that drives the water pump also drives the camshafts. If this belt fails during operation, you can have some pretty serious engine damage. For that reason, Toyota recommends the belt be replaced every 90 thousand miles. Changing the water pump on your truck is not an unbolt-bolt on job. The timing belt must be correctly set up and the tension adjusted properly in order to stay on and stay in time. If you didn't get this just right, the belt may have jumped a few teeth when you shut the engine off or when you tried to restart it.. When the camshafts are not in time with the crankshaft, there is a possibility of the pistons coming into contact with an open valve which either bends the valve or locks up the engine. Before you do anything else, you should try putting a wrench on the front of the crankshaft and checking to see if the engine can be turned. If it can't, you may have some bad news. To be sure you have all the facts, contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home and check out your truck to see if that is the kind of damage you have or if is some other problem.