Q: Won't drive over 20mph. Reduced engine speed

My check engine light came on today. It was driving fine earlier. I went to drive it again and it started to act funny. Almost like it wasn't getting enough gas. Then it said reduced engine speed. Now it doesn't drive over 20mph.

Hi There, This may be a sign of a clogged catalytic converter. The catalytic converter converts toxic exhaust gases into less harmful pollutants that are suitable to be expelled into the atmosphere. When this is clogged, this causes these gases to be backed up into the exhaust system not allowing the engine to breathe properly. When this happens, the engine is forced to work much harder to expel these gases. This often results in the engine bogging down, hesitating, shaking and causing very poor fuel economy. This should also cause a check engine light to come on as the O2 sensors should be reading the incorrect amounts of oxygen in the exhaust gases if this is your problem. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your catalytic converter.

3. Won't drive over 20mph. Reduced engine speed