Q: Won't crank over after dying

For about 3 weeks I've noticed my oil gauge dropping suddenly, usually while turning. I've been keeping an eye on the oil and have insured it's been fine. The other day when I was driving it suddenly died when I slowed down to turn. Went to restart and nothing. It was just a click. I checked all the connections to the ground, battery, starter, and alternator. It wouldn't jump off. Checked all the fuses and looked at the relays to make sure none were blown or looked rough. Nothing. Got it towed to my house and messed with it a little more. Crossed the starter relay. Nothing. Then the starter started making that whirring noise they do when they're bad so I replaced it, and same. It won't even crank. I have noticed when the key was just in the on position gauges and lights bouce and blink and I can hear the fuel pistons in the carb and the anti theft clicking. What else could it be? Crank position sensor? Ignition control module? Oil sending unit? Or computer related? A short?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. There is a good ...

Hi, thanks for writing in. There is a good possibility that your engine has locked up and the starter can not turn the motor. I think your oil pump was going out when the oil gauge was dropping pressure and when the truck finally cut off, the oil pump had went up and caused the motor to lock up. Before commending the engine, an inspection of the crank sensor, cam sensor, ignition control module, and anti theft system should be done. There is a simple test to check to see if the motor is locked by turning the crankshaft with a socket and ratchet. If the crank moves freely then engine is not locked up if it doesn’t then the engine is locked up and would need to be replaced. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.