Q: Won't accelerate pressing gas. 1995 Chevrolet Metro

My hatchback doesn’t want to accelerate when I put my foot on the gas pedal. When I press hard on the gas it will shift gears. But when I press the gas to the floor it doesn’t want to speed up. Do you know what’s causing this? How can I fix it?

A: Hello. There could be several different thi...

Hello. There could be several different things causing the problem you are experiencing. There could be a problem with the idle air control valve sticking or not working properly. There could also be a problem with the throttle position sensor not opening the throttle plate to the proper position when the gas pedal is pressed.

If there is a clog in the catalytic converter, this may cause the car to be hard to accelerate and prevent it from reaching speeds over 40mph. I would suggest that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, complete an inspection in order to pinpoint the problem with acceleration and help proceed with correct repairs.