Q: Won't accelerate pressing gas. 1995 Chevrolet Metro

My hatchback doesn’t want to accelerate when I put my foot on the gas pedal. When I press hard on the gas it will shift gears. But when I press the gas to the floor it doesn’t want to speed up. Do you know what’s causing this? How can I fix it?

Hello. There could be several different things causing the problem you are experiencing. There could be a problem with the idle air control valve sticking or not working properly. There could also be a problem with the throttle position sensor not opening the throttle plate to the proper position when the gas pedal is pressed.

If there is a clog in the catalytic converter, this may cause the car to be hard to accelerate and prevent it from reaching speeds over 40mph. I would suggest that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, complete an inspection in order to pinpoint the problem with acceleration and help proceed with correct repairs.

3. Won't accelerate pressing gas. 1995 Chevrolet Metro