Q: Wobbling, veering at freeway speed

I recently got in a car accident. I was traveling at about 75mph when all the sudden my car was wobbling and started to veer to the right, when I tried to correct it was like it over corrected to the left and by the time I righted myself I had traveled through two lanes and had slowed to about 45mph as I hit (mostly brushed) against a cement barrier. I put on my hazards and got off the freeway staying at about 30-35mph at which point the car didn't seem to wobble even half as bad. I'm wondering what could've caused this? I took the car into the dealer and they are being a bit difficult and of course are saying that any damage was most likely due to my accident. However, body damage isn't that bad and they won't give me answers as to what could've caused something like that before an accident.

Hi there. In most cases, the issue you are describing is caused by a suspension component or steering component breaking or failing, ranging from a strut, wheel bearing, tie rod or even stabilizer bar bushing. It’s also common for an inner CV joint that breaks to cause this type of accident. The problem with this type of accident and then impacting a wall (even just a minor glance) is that it can cause additional damage that will mask or hide the original damage that caused the accident. I hope the dealership can give you some good facts and ensure your car is fully repaired before you drive it again. If you need one of our mechanics to complete a safety inspection after the dealer finishes your car, we’d be more than happy to assist.

3. Wobbling, veering at freeway speed