Q: With foot on the brake, car accelerated and lunged forward

I had my foot on the brake at a red light and the shift in drive. My car went into a very high rate of acceleration and lunged forward uncontrollably. Fortunately, there was no one in front of me or there would have been an incident. The local dealership inspected my car and they said they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. This was too scary an experience to just let it go! Can you tell me what you think the problem is so I can find someone to “Fix” it?

A: The first thing to check is to see if the f...

The first thing to check is to see if the floor mat carpet is loose and if it could have pressed on the accelerator pedal. There are no recalls, I could find to cover the complaint. I would have the dealer look at it to see if there is a fix for the issue that may not be published. This also will get the complaint noted in the system if something goes wrong. If you would like to have this looked at by an independent mechanic, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the brake system and relevant components to see what could have went wrong.