Q: Wipers

During the rain my wipers slow down. It don't seem to happen any other time. What can I do to fix this and how much will it cost if I have to replace the wiper motor.

The components that make up your windshield wiper system are the wiper blades, wiper arms, the mechanical linkage, the wiper motor, electrical wiring, a fuse, a relay, and a switch. The wiper motor, mechanical linkage, and the switch are the only parts of this system that can cause the wipers to work more slowly. I would recommend starting with the switch. Check to make sure that all wiper speeds are working properly. If any wiper speed is not working properly, the switch could be part of the issue. If the switch is good, the next step would be to check the mechanical linkage for any binding parts that could affect the movement of the wiper system. If any binds or bent parts exist, have the parts of the mechanical linkage replaced in order to resolve this issue. Finally, if the other two parts are good, check the condition of the wiper motor. If the wiper motor appears to have insufficient power, I would recommed having the wiper motor replaced. If you are in doubt about any part of this inspection, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your home or office to inspect your wiper system for you.