Q: Wiper working partially during winter

Hi, When it have just small resistance (ex: the ice that appear when I am driving and its snowing) my wiper sometime cannot start by itself. I have to manually give them a little push (a little hit with my ice stick or a little push of the passenger, when i have one) to make it work. The wiper never stopped to work by itself during the road, its only doing this when i try to start them. Since i dont have them working everytime when i am driving, i sometime need to start them several time during the road.

The problem never accur during summer. Since the winter is approching (it already started to do it even there was almost no snow), i want to repair this before it start snowing a lot.

Thank you

Hello. The symptoms you are experiencing are often caused by a faulty wiper motor. The wiper are operated by an electric motor that actuates back and forth to move the wipers across the windshield. It may be possible that the wiper motor is weak or defective, and is no longer strong enough to power the windows. If the issue only comes up during cold weather it may be possible that the temperature, or perhaps moisture due to temperature, is having a direct effect on the functionality of the motor. Another possibility is wiring issues, though this is less likely. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine if the wiper motor needs to be replaced.

3. Wiper working partially during winter