Q: Winter Tires and Wheel Sizing

If I had the option, what would be recommended for winter season for my RWD Lexus IS 250?

1. Winter tires and separate 17" wheels solely for winter season

2. Winter Tire change over on the OEM 18" wheels.

From my understanding, smaller wheel size is better but how much of a difference would 1" in wheel size make? Storage space is my primary concern along with the TPMS sensors as well.

Hi There, You are correct in that a smaller tire will generally perform better in extreme cold weather conditions. A smaller and narrower tire has better grip and performance in snow or ice. This is both because the smaller tire cuts through snow more effectively, and because the weight of the car is pressing on a more focused set of contact patches. Generally, smaller wheels, whether alloy or steel are usually quite a bit less expensive than larger ones as well when considering the economical approach.

3. Winter Tires and Wheel Sizing