Q: Window quit working

The window on the passenger's side in my car has been acting up lately. The other day I press the button to open it but afterwards it just wouldn't go either way. It seems to be stuck for some reason. If I attempt to pull it up, there would be some dimming of the lights and the beeping but the window doesn't move at all. What should I do?

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 1996 BMW 318i. It is natural for the lights to dim just a little when operating the windows on any vehicle. It is likely that the window not functioning due to a faulty window regulator. Window regulators are common failure with many vehicles.

I don’t believe the window switch would be the problem because you can see indications that power is being sent to the window because of the lights dimming when you hit the switch. I suggest having a technician inspect the window issue and replace the regulator if necessary.