Q: Will the bolt pattern match up with a '98 Mazda B3000 motor to my '88 transmission 1988 Mazda B3000

I want to put a 98 Mazda b3000 motor in my 88 Mazda, but I don't know if it will match up with the transmission

Hello - unless your ’88 has the M5OD-R1 5-speed transmission, I don’t believe this swap will work. There were simply too many engine changes over the 10 years, and the M5OD transmission is one of the few common elements. You don’t mention whether the ’98 engine is also a 4 cylinder or not - the 4 cylinder engines changed the most. The V6 models shared a common/evolving set of engines, and are more likely to be compatible. Check the Internet Mazda B3000/Ford Ranger owner forums for additional advice on engine swaps. Good luck!

• Will the bolt pattern match up with a '98 Mazda B3000 motor to my '88 transmission 1988 Mazda B3000