Q: Will not stay running.

My problem is my Impala was running fine until one day I was driving and I lost all power (the car stalled). I let it set for about an hour then turned it back on and the check engine light went off and I continued to drive it. The other day (about a week later) the car started stalling on me so I had a local mechanic check it out, He gave me the codes that came up on the O2B computer but couldn't find a physical problem with it. So I went online to fine possible issues with the car and found a lot of times its either or both the MAF sensor or it is the throttle body, The car had a very ruff idle to it. After cleaning the throttle body the car ran great for about ten min then stalled. Now the check engine light is on and will not go off and the car will not stay running for more then five seconds. I thought it could be something to do with a sensor or the FPR but I am not sure. (I do have the codes if needed) Thank you

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a dirty or failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. This is controlled by the vehicle’s computer and will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and voltage. This is also an important function when starting the motor as it allows the motor to run and idle on it’s own once the motor fires. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed with the help of the idle air control valve making the transition from a higher RPM back down to idle speed while adjusting the air/fuel ratio constantly to allow this to happen smoothly. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your idle air control valve.