Q: Will not start - 1994 Nissan D21

I just rebuilt my ka24e, it has 150 psi compression in all cylinders. The timing is set perfect, it's getting fuel to the fuel rail. When I crank it it coughs once and then just cranks. Any ideas?

Hello. Considering the circumstances, it may be wise to take a few steps back to the very basics and do a few tests that may seem redundant. Starting issues are typically simple in nature or an electrical issue. Spray some starter fluid in the intake ducts and see if that makes any difference. If the car symptoms improve, you need to focus on the fuel system. If you’ve gone over the ignition system and it checks out, you may want to take a look at all of the electrical wiring running from the harness. Make sure everything is clean, dry, and tight. Are you using the previous distributor? Do you know this distributor is working correctly? If you cant definitively say, then you will probably want to perform a spark test and test at the plug end of the ignition cables. This will prove that the signal is reaching the plugs. You may be experiencing an issue with the ECM. This is a possibility but is less likely. Keep it simple and test the easier things first, or have a mechanic diagnose the starting issue for you.