Q: Will my transmission swap work?

I have a 96 f250 with a 7.5 460 in it and the 5 speed manual transmission went out of it but I have a 88 f250 with the same engine and a 5 speed manual also. will the transmission out of the 88 fit the 96? Thanks

A: The 1988 F250 had a S5-42 manual transmissi...

The 1988 F250 had a S5-42 manual transmission and the 1996 had a S5-47 transmission. The two transmissions are different models and may have different gearing inside. The difference may also be one that is from a 2-wheel drive, and another from a 4-wheel drive or a different tail shaft length. My best guess would be that any differences between the two transmissions will make it very difficult to make this transmission swap.