Q: will crank but wont start

the 96 engine was put in a 99 key was misplaced mechanic who put it in has not come back went to dealer to get a key using the vin on the truck got vehicle to crank but wont start. plugged in a coder and came back A Bus that the computer is fried. Got a computer for 96 dodge ram 2500 v10 put in same thing came up. The new person that I had put in the computer from the salvage yard is at a loss. I have researched a little and think that we didnt match numbers of the truck vin that the 96 came out of to the computer we got and maybe something with the starter and key I got from the dealer with the vin on the 99 truck. Dont know where the mechanic that put the 96 engine in the 99 left off got the same A Bus with the replacement computer What needs to be done. The second mechanic says he checked fuses crank sensor and also battery sounds like its going dead. Dont think this mechanic wants to figure it out. What needs to be done.

Ill try to answer this without getting too technical. Your vehicle uses two network communication circuits, called busses, to communicate with all the different modules. Like any circuit, it requires a complete path with no breaks to operate. It is easy to miss connecting a small wire when performing a large job such as an engine replacement.

I suggest you refer to the factory service manual for detail information about were your grounds are connected and test procedures to verify that all modules have both power and ground source as well as a complete communications pathway. A missing or improper ground will prevent your modules from communication and is often misdiagnosed as a bad module.

A certified technician, like one from YourMechanic.com, will have the tools and knowledge to diagnose your starting issue and verify the proper operation of your can bus circuits.

3. will crank but wont start